Tuesday, December 29, 2020

Combat Mission Afrika Korps - When it Comes to Support by Fire, You Better Do It with the Right Tools

Well, pardon the old engine circa 2003, but there is still quality tactical gaming for me in this one. Besides that I just want to make a small point. So sorry if I offend any retinas with this. 😀


This scenario is semi-historical and comes stock with the game. The Canadian 3rd Brigade (1st Canadian Infantry Division) is shown in a typical attack during the Italian campaign in WWII. The West Nova Scotia Regiment is showing up for this show with a Battalion (-), supported by organic weapons, indirect fire and one troop of the 1st Canadian Armored Brigade.

The terrain is more or less closed and the attack plan was to first secure a monastery that overlooks the allied movements. I literally spent 1/4 of the scenario moving my troops ahead and the flanking maneuver brought me through a vineyard that is very conveniently dead terrain for the Germans.

When it came the time to move in for the close assault, I placed two Sherman V tanks in a support by fire mission so the infantry could assault the monastery with hefty support.


The tanks' machine guns pounding the monastery was apparently making an impact on the enemy, as my soldiers moved against a stone wall that offers a good covered respite to my already tense soldiers. Then, all of the sudden, the tank in our right flank opens with its main gun. That can't be good, what did the crew see?


Deep in the landscaped backyard of the monastery, an AT gun has just taken our tank. The range was murderous: 150 meters! I should have provided a higher range for the support by fire mission. Damn!


More driven by inertia than anything else -pulling back a tank in a vineyard is as hard as putting it into a battle position- the remaining tank continues to support the soldiers. 


And after a proper assault, the monastery falls into Canadian hands. The Germans proved to be a tough opponent, the counterattacked us fiercely.


The Monastery objective is now in Canadian hands. The next objective is in the middle of the town in the background.

The persistent enemy counter attack was puzzling, until I found out that the German's defensive position extended almost seamlessly from the monastery to the town. 

It was great news, but they came too late, as I already committed the main thrust into the town right into the lions mouth.


Not that the main attack was going dandy. The men and tank found a minefield on their way.

Cheers,

JC


2 comments:

Paolo said...

Hey! I love this stuff, especially the Italian campaigns!
Thank you for writing this, I only recently found this blog again. :D
Have a great 2021.

JC said...

Hi Paolo,
Thanks for reading.
Cheers!