Thursday, January 14, 2021

Rotary Wing Pixels in Kazakhstan - Hind (Digital Integration 1996)

The minute I felt compelled to start the training missions, I knew this seminal combat helicopter simulator would grab me and don't let me go. So here I am flying like it is 1996. And having a blast, nonetheless ...


Hind is all pixels and a look back to when the hardcore combat flight simulations started. It has a hefty manual of 90-something pages and you will have to read it. There is enough helicopter flight physics to force you to be a serious pilot and smartness in the avionics implementation that don't make you feel grossly cheated out. Remember, this one dates back to the 90s, there were no TrackIR or clickeable cockpits back then.


Suspension of disbelief is an achievement that deserves mention for Hind. I will be lying if I don't say that I had to think my maneuvers (the Hind is not exactly a light bird) and tactics. Yes, as in real life, attack from a hover is not too much of an option for the novice pilot.


I had flown as part of a 4-ship flight, reprimanded for not keeping formation and felt bad for letting my comrades down with my standoff tactics. There is value in keeping tight formations, and it has showed up multiple times. This is from one of the campaigns available (Kazakhstan), where the environment is quite brutal for both Su-25s and Hinds. The missions are well designed and feel realistic.


During training, I had the pleasure of dropping off a squad of 8 Soviet desants, this after clearing the landing zone by myself. I've done that only once in an Arma mod, and it was quite exciting.



Hind is available at GOG.com at $5.99.

Cheers,


No comments: