The US Marines fight differently than the US Army. There are differences in organization, equipment, command and control, doctrine, etc. There are plenty of free sources out there from where to get US Marine Corp doctrinal publications, but sometimes these publications are not easy reads. Furthermore, doctrinal publications are just guidelines and troops in the field frequently adapt their tactics to something different of what the manuals say. Fortunately, there are a good amount of books out there with first hand accounts of recent battles. Let me list a few books I think will fit the CMSF/Marines war gamer.
- Tip of the Spear: U.S. Marine Light Armor in the Gulf War by G. J. Michaels
- Ambush Alley: The Most Extraordinary Battle of the Iraq War by Tim Pritchard
- We Were One: Shoulder to Shoulder with the Marines Who Took Fallujah by Patrick O'Donnell
- My Men Are My Heroes: The Brad Kasal Story by Nathaniel R. Helms
- The Highway War: A Marine Company Commander in Iraq by Maj. Seth W.B. Folsom
The following two books are a bit more grand-tactical and operational in their scope. Scenario or campaign designers may find lots of information for the new creations.
- Marines in the Garden of Eden: The Battle for An Nasiriyah by Richard S. Lowry
- Basrah, Baghdad, and Beyond: U.S. Marine Corps in the Second Iraq War by USMCR Col. Nicholas E. Reynolds