Tuesday, May 11, 2010

How much is a user interface worth?

Well folks, I am enjoying Achtung Panzer Kharkov 43. So much that I've got a serious case of Graviteam virus and yesterday I decided to get Steel Fury Kharkov 42. First I downloaded the demo to check out if there was any type of graphics incompatibility issues (there was none). But the sim's interface of the demo is hell and the user's manual editor appears to be Google translate. After Achtung Panzer Kharkov 43, I was expecting some clunkiness in those two aspects of Steel Fury. Still, I was shocked with the demo's interface and manual.

I'm not a gamer that expects 100% polish in games and simulations. I don't even care about storylines, campaigns or how many missions the game has. As such, from what I saw in Steel Fury's demo, I'm going to enjoy this thing. Yet, I can't help but wonder about the impact of presentation in Graviteam's offerings. Sales lost ... developer goes under ... we are left again in the dark.

It is kind of funny that other GREAT games have wonderful interfaces, manuals and tutorials but still struggle to convince gamers about their worth. And I'm not going to give names ...

Yes! Download of Steel Fury is done. Off to climb the ultimate learning curve.

Steel Fury Kharkov 42 demo.

Cheers,

No comments: