Friday, July 13, 2012

Phaeden's Upcoming Marine Corps Twentynine Palms Air Ground Combat Center - A New ArmA 2 "Island" Now in Beta

Phaeden was kind enough to share a beta of his upcoming map/"island" based in the famous US Marine Corps base. The map covers a very large area, including the adjacent town of 29 Palms.

This picture taken in the middle of the town of 29 Palms.
Screenshots inside ...



A zoomed out view of the map from within the editor.
Another view of the map, zoomed in to show more details.

The airbase north of 29 Palms.

This village is located at the east of the map. Nice place for a fight!

The mountains at the east of the real base are really difficult to transit. Fully modeled in Phaeden's map.

This one taken in the plains near the main base installations.

I know where I will be training my virtual Marines on MOUT. :)
Me and my virtual Marines lost in the expanses of this map. 
This is looking fantastic. Thanks Phaeden for sharing the beta with me. I will be somewhere in this map this weekend, shooting something.

Cheers,

3 comments:

James said...

I've been looking forward to this map; can't wait to run around down there.
I've been trying to enlist someone to make an island of the National Training Center in Ft. Irwin. I have complete sets of high res satellite images of the entire NTC at various scales.
Unfortunately, I just haven't been able to decipher the Arma Island making process.
Looking forward to both 29 Palms and anything you might come up with on it,
Regards

Phaeden said...

Glad it is finally working!

I'll have a new version for you this weekend (I hope).

I recommend the MOUT area that is northeast of mainside (there is a little circular road in the middle of it).

I also highly encourage you to set the view distance as high as you can (either through the in game options or through a trigger). It looks a lot better when you can see further and it should impact your frame rate very much.

JC said...

Thanks for your comments.

@ Phaeden, will do.

Cheers,