Sunday, January 10, 2010

Wargaming the Urban Fight



I was watching "The Fight for Fallujah" (Military Channel stuff included in this DVD) and after seeing the real footage of the combat during Operation Phantom Fury (screenshot at the left) I am once again floored at the complexity of the urban terrain. Not that I didn't know it was complex, ...

... just reflecting on how little a war game can do to model this type of fights.


This is another screenshot from the same DVD.It must take hours to move just two blocks.












This is an scenario I made for Battlefront's Combat Mission Shock Force (quite a success, it was downloaded like 25 times!) :) . The terrain is so clean and sanitized in this war game ...









Cheers,

2 comments:

Unknown said...

Ever tried the Insurgency mod for HL2?

JC said...

Hi Andrew,

Thanks for your comment and for dropping by the blog.

I heard very good things about that mod. I will try to get HL2 and download it to take a look.

This blog entry came a bit short. I was thinking in terms of traditional war games (computer or paper). It looks like FPSs have the upper hand when it comes to modeling urban combat.

Cheers,