Sunday, July 16, 2017

DCS Normandy 1944 - Recon at the Carpiquet Airfield

A short mission in the DCS: Spitfire LF Mk. IX, just to kick the tires.

A custom-made scenario, with a single aircraft and a handful of AAA defenses in the Carpiquet Airfield. A far cry from any real life situation, no claims made for a history lesson.
Heads up: a 50% sale for many aircraft is going on now at DCS. This is where I grabbed my Spitfire today.



Taking off from Beny-sur-Mer. The Spitfire is such a stunning aircraft, the digital version is still a work in progress but equally easy to fall in love with. 

After I turned around towards the airfield, I used its layout as a visual aid to get oriented. Carpiquet is ~7 miles from the end of the runway, bearing 182 degrees.

The Spitfire ate the short distance. To the left, in the background, the airfield installations are easily spotted.

I didn't have to -I was supposed to do a quick recon- but strafing the virtual Germans was sorely tempting. 

Bad aiming, yes. But speed is on my side. The enemy AAA appears not to be able to catch up with me.


I finally got a Flak Vierling 38 in my bag. Here I'm testing out the powerful engine of the Spitfire to loop and get back into strafing the airfield amenities.

This was a really bad idea. I was caught by the enemy defenses and I was left without the right aileron. Doh! Didn't they teach me to never overfly AAA?

The Spitfire was smoking to much and I decided to land it at the first friendly airfield. 

The irony: landed better without the aileron than with it. This is the Rucqueville Airfield.

Where is the valet parking?

The WWII Assets Pack, it is supposed to get updated with more units and vehicle types. So far, at least we have AAA.



Cheers,

2 comments:

Frankie Kam said...

Don't mess with them triple-A. You got chewed up because you bit off more than you could chew. Haha, just kidding. Love the screenshots. Keep them blog posts coming!

JC said...

LOL. I didn't know that the AAA would be that effective (the whole thing is still in beta). And I got it really bad.

Cheers,